Telecommunications Outside Plant Technician Level 1 (Communications Technician)
What you will be doing… You will be assisting with the day to day construction, maintenance, troubleshooting and protection of our outside plant infrastructure, including both copper and fiber facilities extending from the Central Office to termination inside a customer’s location.
- Learn how to safely and efficiently operate equipment and tools to perform the job at hand.
- Learn how to determine legal locate tickets and locate facilities for excavation.
- Learn how to pothole, soft and hard digging and the benefits of each.
- Learn fiber splicing basics.
- Responsible for keeping tools & equipment in a state of readiness.
- Responsible for maintaining a good working relationship with other utilities.
- Responsible for keeping supervisor informed of progress, problems or safety issues.
- Responsible for keeping supervisor informed of any improvements which might be helpful in regard to locating, safety, or construction.
- Understand and effectively perform our wiring and marking standards.
What we’re looking for… A go-getter and someone who is interested in the field of telecommunications and data networks who enjoys problem-solving. Someone who is local to the area, who knows the community, the roads, and wants to stay in the area for the long-term. Someone who is also a great team player and can quickly build relationships with a diverse range of people.
Skills / Requirements:
- Must have color vision and good hearing.
- Handle confidential/sensitive information with discretion.
- Must be able to drive company trucks while pulling and safely backing trailers using both manual and automatic transmissions.
- Must supply and maintain a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Report.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Customer service skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Think critically and problem solve.
- Good judgment.
- Ability to use computers and the Internet.
- High School Diploma
- Proficient use of all hand and power tools
- Prolonged standing.
- Climbing stairs, ladders, and/or scaffolds. Carrying of loads up and down stairs. Reaching and/or grasping.
- Stooping, kneeling, bending, crawling, and crouching. Carrying, pushing and/or pulling.
- Must work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Finger and wrist dexterity and hand/eye coordination.
- Heavy physical effort (Must be able to lift and carry 100 pounds).
- Exposure to noisy or dusty conditions.
- Exposure to chemicals and solvents.
- Exposure to mechanical, electrical, and/or other hazards.
Even better if you have:
- Networking Experience or Certifications (Network+, CCNA)
- In-depth knowledge of technologies in our Industry (Bixby, Fiber Optics, etc.).
- CDL Driver’s License
- Low Voltage License
- DoT Flagger’s License
When you join Glenwood Telephone… You’ll be joining a family. As the smallest independent telephone company in the state of Georgia, we are family owned and invest in our employees. You will receive an excellent benefits package as well as opportunities to grow your salary.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees’ differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status.
Communications Technician Job Description